This is the first instrument I built (in its non-tuned version). A couple years ago I was living in a very small apartment and sleeping in a convertible sofa. Every night when I opened it the loooong springs in its mechanism made great "ziiioooonnnnggg" sounds, and I thought "I should really make an instrument with springs".
I really wanted to make a tuned instrument that would be useful in my composition and production work. On my first prototype I didn't manage to tune the springs. I tried but with all the springs I found I couldn't manage to make the notes I needed. But I was still very happy with the non-tuned version and the possibilities it offered.
Then about a year later I tried again and managed tuning them. Since then I've started to have fellow musicians ordering Springophones from me which is lucky because it gives me the opportunity to improve my instrument and my skills. I have now experimented with aluminium bodies as well as ash plywood and solid oak.