Visit my shrine to Maximillian: max.autumnateeverything.com
Maximillian features a DIY electrified drum set aptly named "Maximillian." The kit consists of an orange leather Maximillian suitcase with other ad hoc drums permanently attached with various pickups for each sound. Each of the drums on the kit are connected to an audio interface for individual processing.
In the first ever piece written for Maximillian, we decided to use only the live sounds of the drums. Constantly shifting tempi and effects set the tone for the introductory section. We recorded a number of live loops during this section to add to the gradually building texture (note: this performance contains no fixed media).
Over time, the loops transform into a groove to which the drummer adapts. The live drums feature various sonic shaping tools for more pronounced texture. Various features of the loops and the live soloist reveal arrays of sound locked in this suitcase for years before this project.
The groove devolves to an ambient exploration of the kit's sonic possibilities as the piece concludes.
On a purely technical note, the kit features:
- one mid-20th century Maximillian suitcase with BD mic suspended inside
- one rototom with snare attached, snare drum mic
- one lower hi-hat with rice cooker upper hi-hat (piezo elements on each
- two muted cowbells with piezo elements underneath
- one rototom with tom mic
- one spring table with various implements including two spring reverb units, toy piano tines, door stoppers, an aluminum heat sink, and various springs
- one Keith McMillen BopPad with custom M4L device sampler
- one MOTU UltraLite for all of the above inputs
All of the processing was performed in real time using Ableton Live, Max for Live, and ClyphX Pro.
This recording features Kevin Dacey on drums.