Musician is an UI add-on for the World of Warcraft MMORPG that implements a new feature to allow players to play musical instruments in the game, despite several technical limitations.
Unlike other popular MMORPGs such as Lord of the Rings Online or Final Fantasy XIV, World of Warcraft lacks a “bard class” or “music performance mode” which is highly appreciated by roleplayers. The goal of Musician is to fill this gap the best as possible using the limited features of the WoW UI API.
The add-on consists in a rudimentary sample-based synthesizer that can play existing MIDI files or can be played live using the PC keyboard or an external MIDI controller. The other players who also have the add-on and who are within range of the character can also listen to the music.
The available instruments are mostly medieval and renaissance instruments to match WoW’s medieval fantasy universe but modern ones such as electric guitar, drumkit and bass can also be used to play more conventional pop/rock music.
The project started 4 years ago and is being improved constantly.
The add-on is becoming quite popular on roleplaying realms. While most of the players play pre-recorded MIDI sequences, some of them do perform in real time by forwarding the MIDI stream from their electronic piano keyboard to the game.
* Main add-on repository: https://github.com/LenweSaralonde/Musician
* CurseForge add-on page: https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/musician
* Discord server: https://discord.gg/ypfpGxK
* Wiki: https://github.com/LenweSaralonde/Musician/wiki
* GitHub project: https://github.com/users/LenweSaralonde/projects/1
* Project tools repository: https://github.com/LenweSaralonde/MusicianTools
Some YouTube demos:
* Bohemian Rhapsody (band sync test): https://youtu.be/C9HAHtgs4nc
* Game of Thrones opening (synth stress test): https://youtu.be/dOcvydDKy7E
* Daft Punk - Get Lucky: https://youtu.be/Me6ImHBPdIQ
* Windows 3.1 CANYON.MID: https://youtu.be/RBqN74y_o4k